Yesterday was dedicated to animation, but today's big announcements at the D23 Expo were all about live action. Here is our quick recap of the panel, with a list of the more important reveals.
- Marvel kicked off the show with Doctor Strange, but nothing major was revealed. The movie (directed by Scott Derrickson with Benedict Cumberbatch in the titular role) will begin shooting in November.
- Chris Evans (Captain America) and Anthony Mackie (Falcon) then took the stage to introduce footage from Captain America: Civil War (directed by the Russo brothers).
The panel audience was treated with a clip and a trailer. And that was it for Marvel. Hopefully we get to see the trailer soon.
- A poster was revealed for Jon Favreau's upcoming adaptation of The Jungle Book (see it below).
- Alice Through the Looking Glass was also showcased, and it was revealed Sacha Baron Cohen would play the villainous Time. According to Mia Wasikowska (Alice), the sequel to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010) will feature a lot of time travel.
Most of the original cast is back, including Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter and Helena Bonham Carter as a younger Red Queen.
- The cast of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales was officially announced: Johnny Depp will of course be back as Captain Jack Sparrow; Geoffrey Rush and will return as Barbossa and Orlando Bloom as Will Turner; it seems Keira Knightley won't be back as Elizabeth Swann, though.
Also announced in the cast were Javier Bardem as Captain Salazar, Brenton Thwaites, Kaya Scodelario, David Wenham, and Golshifteh Farahani.
Then came the Star Wars announcements:
- Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) will direct Episode IX, set for a 2019 release, as was previously rumoured.
- A picture for Star Wars: Rogue One (directed by Gareth Edwards) was shown (pictured below), and the cast was announced: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Jiang Wen, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Forest Whitaker and Ben Mendelsohn will star in the movie.
- Finally, legendary artist Drew Struzan came up with a poster for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Here it is below, courtesy of Slash Film.
That's it for this year's D23 Expo big movie-related announcements. Also teased during the live action panel (but with no important reveal) were Beauty and the Beast, The Finest Hours and Pete's Dragon.
Which one are you most excited to see?