ASIFA-Hollywood have revealed the nominations for the 39th Annual Annie Awards, 'Animation's Highest Honor' will be presented on February 4, 2012 and the extensive slate of nominations were released online today.
The top prize, the Annie Award for Best Animated Feature, this year has a whopping 10 nominations, including my personal favourites, The Adventures of Tintin and Kung Fu Panda 2. The full list of nominations for the award can be viewed below:
- A Cat in Paris – Folimage
- Arrugas (Wrinkles) - Perro Verde Films, S.L.
- Arthur Christmas – Sony Pictures Animation, Aardman Animations (my review)
- Cars 2 – Pixar Animation Studios (my review)
- Chico & Rita – Chico & Rita Distribution Limited
- Kung Fu Panda 2 – DreamWorks Animation (my review)
- Puss In Boots – DreamWorks Animation
- Rango – Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies present A Blind Wink/GK Films Production (my review)
- Rio – Blue Sky Studios (my review)
- Tintin – Amblin Entertainment, Wingnut Films and Kennedy/Marshall (my review)
There seems to be a large portion of Individual Achievement Awards for Disney's Winnie the Pooh (my review) and DreamWorks' Kung Fu Panda 2 and Puss in Boots - some absolutely gorgeous films. Obviously, as DreamWorks is one of the main sponsors of ASIFA-Hollywood, there's always the accusation of unfairness - especially due to the shut out of Toy Story 3 last year and the lack of nominations for Cars 2 this year, following the very public pulling out of the studio's support for the awards -, but Kung Fu Panda 2 was brilliant, and I'd hate to see a repeat of last year, where How to Train Your Dragon's monumentous wins were overshadowed by screams of fowl-play.
Read the full list of nominations here.
Also, rememeber to vote in the poll to the right, for your favourite animated film of the year, to decide The People's Favourite A113Animation Award.